Re: rental cohousing? & FourSquare
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 06:21:07 -0800 (PST)
On 3 Feb 2011, at 10:43 AM, Naomi Anderegg wrote:

>  I've thought
> about buying a small apartment building to convert into all-rental or
> rent-to-own-condo-style cohousing & am wondering, quite frankly, if it would
> be
> a good investment.

There seem to be lots of people interested in renting in cohousing and in low
income cohousing. The difficulty seems to be in getting them all together in
one place. It's the same with building cohousing in general, how to get enough
households with enough money together in one place.

For some reason I'm thinking of FourSquare in relation to this. FourSquare is
this odd social network. When you are in a restaurant or lecture or movie or
whatever, you check in and see how else is there who is also on FourSquare. I
guess you say hi or something.

We went to the theater in DC at Christmas time. My daughter checked in and
said, No one's here. The theater was full but no matter. No one was there. You
also get badges and things for going to places many times and checking in. Very
strange but it might have some relevance to finding people in a big building
who are interested in cohousing and potlucks. A coho check-in. Maybe Coho US
could look into setting something like this up for people who want to connect.
Foursquare is an ad supported site but a coho site could be a subscription
service.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines