Re: rental cohousing?
From: melanie griffin (melgrifgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:55:39 -0800 (PST)
it certainly depends on the area, but here in new jersey $700 might get you
a room in a house, but not an apartment of any size. The west coast and
urban parts of the east coast are even more expensive. I am planning to sell
my house in a year or two and have considered taking some long-term (3 mo to
a year) rentals in cohousing while the group I'm working with here builds. I
have assumed that for even a small place on either coast I'd pay $1200 or
more, $1000 inland. But that still seems like a deal, since a cohousing
rental is much more than one's living space, in that it usually has onsite
workout space (saving $30-50 a month for a gym membership), laundry (saving
initial investment and utilities), guest rooms (at least $100 a month for an
extra bedroom in a rental) and common dining, living, and meeting spaces
(probably unquantifiable).
Melanie