The Future of Cohousing
From: Zev Paiss (zpaisscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 07:48:53 -0800 (PST)
Hello Friends Old and New,

This thread around rental cohousing is something I believe the cohousing world will need to take very seriously in the coming years. When I became involved in cohousing in 1991 the world was a different place. Back then, there were "only" 5.5 billion people on the planet where today, only 20 years later, there is an estimated 6.9 billion people. Exponential growth is a powerful thing. Populations everywhere are bumping up against the limits of fresh water, food, liquid fuels, and jobs in many parts of the world and right here in America.

I have had the pleasure and the challenge of been at the forefront of innovation in the cohousing movement since I began. These include helping to create the Rocky Mountain Cohousing Association, the CoHousing Journal, eight regional inserts, a color cover, the first Cohousing website, beginning to accept credit cards, starting an online store, coordinating several regional then the first few National conferences, and creating the Elder Cohousing Network.

The question before us now is how does cohousing address the monumental transformations in housing now confronting American society. As Kate Ben-Ami stated in her message earlier this week,

"I understood that it'll take time for the COHO community to realize the complete paradigm shift that has occurred in this country (with regard to home ownership)."

This is an unprecedented opportunity for the cohousing model to take its 20+ years of experience and apply it to creating models for affordable, rental and lower income housing that is so urgently needed in this country. Cohousing needs creative leadership who has the experience, leadership and connections to take us in this direction.

Who is ready to join me in this challenge?

Zev Paiss
Nomad Cohousing
Boulder, Colorado
zpaiss [at] abrahampaiss.com