Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 85, Issue 7
From: Martha Lee (mleecohohotmail.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 10:20:10 -0800 (PST)
I have never posted before, but here it goes!

I would like input from other co-housing groups on how you have dealt with
adult bullying problems. In order to help me to identify this problem at
Pacifica I am using a list of characteristics I found on the UC Davis HR
website:

Overruling decisions without a rationale, Sabotaging team efforts, Demeaning
others, Verbal intimidation, Harassment, Incivility, Teasing, Gossiping,
Purposely withholding business information.

Pacifica is 4 1/2 years old.  It is a large urban co-housing group, 46
households in mostly townhouses.  Over the last few years our morale has been
dropping, and participation is waning.  It is very hard to find folks who will
run for executive committee, and our steering committee has been abolished.
Community meals and other community-wide events are few.  I have done research
on the bullying issue and concluded that we have 3 adult serial bullies here,
and a number of others who act as "lieutenants", who actively collaborate with
bullies.  Community members seem scared to speak up at meetings or appoach
others when they have concerns that might be seen as controversial. The few of
us who will speak up are harassed, bullied, and marginalized.  Example 1:  the
son of an adult bully and his pre-teen friends were regulary shooting bb guns
and metal tipped practice arrows on the grounds of our urban densely populated
co-housing, an act which is illegal in the city limits due to the safety
hazard.  Another resident was hit by a bb in the head.  By the time I found out
about this, it had been going on for several weeks, and no one had had the
courage to approach the bully about the problem.  Example 2:  My tires were
slashed recently on the same night as some very angry e-mails targeting me were
sent out on our list serve.

Where do we go from here? How have other co-housings dealt with bullying?  Are
three bullies too many to confront?

Martha Lee
Pacifica Co-housing
Carrboro, NC