Re: Renters and Owners and other
From: Holly McNutt (holly.mcnuttgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 16:33:12 -0800 (PST)
Another two cents from my perspective as Cohouser, property
mgr/realtor/landlord:
I'd say about 90% f the time, there is more wear and tear on a tenant-occupied
property. With few and notable exceptions, owners take better care. Pride of
ownership is a very real phenomenon.  And while there ARE meticulous tenants
and slovenly owners, more often the reverse is true.  Just something to be
considered in the final equation, whatever that may end up looking like.

We've not had a big problem with non-occupying owners blocking things from
moving forward, but it certainly could happen at any time.

Re: affordable cohousing, I love the idea, but wonder about the logistics.  In
one existing community I know of with a few permanently affordable units, the
rising HOA dues have made things challenging for the owners of those units.
Issues can develop if the other owners feel it is unfair for the affordable
units to have no or lower dues increases, and increases can make it no longer
affordable for the perm afford folks.  Anyone have any insight on this?

For those experiencing bullying and community relationship issues and such, YES
get some outside facilitation and please seriously consider what the Third
Siders have to offer. Jeff Jones is here at Nyland and this group is up to good
things.  There are things that neighbors just cannot work out without a
framework that provides emotional safety, and a neutral party skilled in
mediation is of immense value.

- Holly at Nyland