Re: The Future of Cohousing
From: Holly McNutt (holly.mcnuttgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:30:11 -0800 (PST)
David,

I love the New Yorker reference!

I work in real estate and I have to say that, ironically,  my very most
fundamental core belief about it is that it is absurd that we have created a
paradigm where we "own" pieces of the earth.  It is merely a mental construct,
like money, that we have created. And yet, this IS the paradigm we live in and
I don't see that changing any time soon.  If I understand this correctly, the
real estate model we now live in dates back to feudal times in what is now
England, when the lords owned just about everything and the serfs worked the
land they didn't own and only a very few ever moved beyond that to ownership.
In many ways, we have come a long way since then!  We live in a society where a
much greater percentage of citizens CAN own the land they live on.  The past
few years have been scary for sure, with more people loosing their ownership
rights to foreclosure as a result of the lending fiasco, but when I look at the
BIG picture (as in centuries, not a decade), I see this as one bad phase of an
evolving process; and while many of us can't wait for it to end, it will, and I
think down the road some good things will have come out of this phase, such as
this greater movement toward sustainability and the broadened appeal of the
cohousing model.

Am I totally naive?

- Holly from Nyland