car-sharing
From: Audrey Watson (audreygalisteo.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 22:31:00 -0800 (PST)
the vehicle LLC was set up by a member who happens to be a lawyer, so that wasn't too bad, and I'm not sure why the insurance was not outrageously expensive, maybe because both vehicles in the LLC are fairly old, or maybe Washington is easier on insurance. the two vehicles are fairly "special purpose", the electric car is just for short runs, and the truck is used as a truck.

The electric car has been around for several years, the truck for less than a year. they are reserved via a "clipboard", very low tech. the truck was setup with a buy-in of $100 I think, and then a .50/mile usage fee that includes everything. Each member of the LLC signed an agreement. And I don't remember exactly what it said, but at a minimum it said if you were in an accident you were responsible for the deductible. I don't think it's been in place long enough to really say how well it works financially (i.e is the revenue paying all the expenses, there haven't been any repairs needed yet), but its great to have a truck to use for those times when you need it. A subset of the LLC also bought a camper for the truck, and have used it for occasional weekend camping.

We have some members that are trying to go further to get rid of more cars in the parking lot and create more car sharing and less individual car ownership, but that is moving slowly, they've done some surveys on amount of usage, but haven't gone further.

--audrey
Winslow Cohousing

  • car-sharing Anne Fleck, January 15 2008
    • car-sharing Audrey Watson, February 8 2011