Re: car-sharing
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 06:31:51 -0800 (PST)
Thank you Audrey for responding
Michael

On 2/9/2011 1:30 AM, Audrey Watson wrote:
the vehicle LLC was set up by a member who happens to be a lawyer, so
that wasn't too bad, and I'm not sure why the insurance was not
outrageously expensive, maybe because both vehicles in the LLC are
fairly old, or maybe Washington is easier on insurance.  the two
vehicles are fairly "special purpose", the electric car is just for
short runs, and the truck is used as a truck.

The electric car has been around for several years, the truck for less
than a year.  they are reserved via a "clipboard", very low tech.  the
truck was setup with a buy-in of $100 I think, and then a .50/mile usage
fee that includes everything. Each member of the LLC signed an
agreement. And I don't remember exactly what it said, but at a minimum
it said if you were in an accident you were responsible for the
deductible.   I don't think it's been in place long enough to really say
how well it works financially (i.e is the revenue paying all the
expenses, there haven't been any repairs needed yet), but its great to
have a truck to use for those times when you need it.  A subset of the
LLC also bought a camper for the truck, and have used it for occasional
weekend camping.

We have some members that are trying to go further to get rid of more
cars in the parking lot and create more car sharing and less individual
car ownership, but that is moving slowly, they've done some surveys on
amount of usage, but haven't gone further.

--audrey
Winslow Cohousing