Re: Bullying
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:20:20 -0800 (PST)
That sounds like a very painful and even frightening situation.  I have a few
suggestions.
I agree with Sharon that the authorities need to be brought to deal with
dangerous illegal behavior, such as the bb gun shootings.
It sounds like your meetings are held hostage at the moment.  I would start by
talking individually or in small groups to neighbors who may be supportive, and
developing a strategy together before tackling the larger group.  Support each
other as much as you can.
When you talk with the bullies, be calmly assertive, and name the problematic
behaviors. State what you see as the issues with their behavior factually
without resorting to name calling, yelling or putdowns. Bullies count on
intimidation.If you don't follow their script, many will back down.  Some
people are what I think of as well intentioned bullies; they think of
themselves as acting for the good of others even while acting like holy
terrors.  I have seen this type of person respond and change behavior when
gently and respectfully called on their bullying. I won't say they are getting
any Miss Manners awards now, but the bullying has been greatly reduced.
If you frame the issue as improving communication, creating more effective
meetings, or conflict resolution training you may be able to get agreement on
some outside intervention.  Whether or not the group agrees to pay, I do think
you should get outside assistance as soon as you can.
Randa Johnson