Creating a New Category of Renter
From: Zev Paiss (zpaisscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 19:39:56 -0800 (PST)
Friends,

Much of the discussion in this forum has surrounded the challenging interaction between renters and owners in a renter cohousing model. I propose that we offer up a totally new category I will call "Permanent or Long-Term Renter." There are millions of Baby Boomers who have had their savings, 401K's and IRA's evaporate over the past several years (myself included) and may no longer expect or want to have a mortgage as they move into their later years. What they (we) do want is stability and the security that we will not be kicked out of our homes because someone else has control over the property.

I suggest we investigate the possibility of creating 5-20 year rental agreements so those people living in home they do not own, are still able to have the long term security of homeowners. This kind of arrangement would open up cohousing and cohousing-like communities to many people who can no longer qualify for a mortgages or for whatever reason, do not want to own.

Zev Paiss
Nomad Cohousing
Boulder, CO