Creating a New Category of Renter
From: Rod Lambert (rodecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 07:24:14 -0800 (PST)

Perhaps organizations such as Mutual Housing Association could provide a helpful perspective if not a model for affordability and security of tenure? People get virtually permanent rentals even apparently to the point of passing it on to heirs.

http://housingforall.org/mutual housing.htm

(To stretch this thread a little to include affordability for owners:)
Of course, organizations such as Habitat for Humanity and even the USDA have interesting sweat equity models, parts of which might be adaptable to CoHo. Here at EcoVillage at Ithaca, we encouraged sweat equity and custom design in the second neighborhood (SoNG) with very positive results including 2 straw bale homes. (An approach especially useful for people who have at least one dream home in them that just has to come out!) Several units were able to qualify for HUD grants of ~20K which further aided affordability. Unfortunately, most affordability efforts are one-time-only initiatives in that they don't get passed on to subsequent buyers. I think, as someone mentioned, unless at least some prices are permanently tied to local median income statistics somehow, permanently affordable cohousing communities are hard to sustain.

Rod Lambert

"Design Scapes"
Whole Community Design and Development - providing consulting for affordable, low eco-footprint communities
EcoVillage at Ithaca, NY.