EBCOHO gatherings this weekend: TIC tips for good agreements, Swedish cohousing slideshow, Brigid House Party, and plan-ahead calendar
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:35:06 -0800 (PST)
Greetings, East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland, CA) and Northern California
Cohousers, cohousing seekers, future founders, and community
connectors! Here's a quick round-up of upcoming EBCOHO activities this
weekend:

* Swedish Cohousing slideshow: Sunday morning, featuring a visiting
founder of a rental cohousing community that has survived start-up
struggles

* Potluck: Sunday noon at The Long Haul in Berkeley, shared with both events

* Tips for TIC's: How Strong Agreements can make great neighbors in
Tenants-in-Common homeownership, early Sunday afternoon with Sharing
Solution co-author Janelle Orsi and attorney Jesse Palmer

* Elders' Guild: Sunday afternoon, featuring a visit from several
folks from Sequoia Village affordable-homeowner cohousing in
Sebastopol, including community co-creator Alexandra Hart (formerly of
Yulupa Cohousing in Santa Rosa and Two Acre Wood)

* Folsom Ecohousing site walk (East of Sacramento): Saturday morning

* Brigid Collective party: Saturday evening in West Berkeley

Details and RSVP links are on the home page at http://www.ebcoho.org

Beyond this weekend, here's some more you can plan ahead for in the
next couple of weeks:

* Monday lunch: Marin Cohousing exploratory lunch gathering
* Wednesday evening: East Bay Green Drinks
* Thursday evening: Economics of Happiness movie showing at Berkeley's
UU Fellowship. And a Katie McCamant slideshow in Sacramento
* Next weekend: Commercial Urban Farming workshop (supporting members save $75!)
* Next Saturday evening (Feb. 19): Eastlake Cohousing Games Night
* The following Monday evening (Feb. 21): Cohousing intro & (un)common
dinner at Berkeley Cohousing: A hands-on experiential workshop in
cooking up community connections
* Tuesday, Feb. 22: End-of-life planning presentation at Pleasant Hill Cohousing
* Wednesday, Feb. 23: Transition Town Berkeley initial meeting
* Thursday evening, Feb. 24: Aging-in-Community Conversation (Berkeley)
* Thursday evening, Feb. 24: Relationship Economy talk (Richmond)
* Saturday afternoon, Feb. 26: Zen of Eco-Action Playshop w/EBCOHO
Supporting Member/artist Stephen "Mr. Fun" Kelly

And for March through April, here's a sneak peek of what we're working on:

* An open house or two at Triple Point cohousing, aimed at helping the
community on the Oakland-Emeryville-Berkeley border find a new member.
* Follow-up communal dinners building on the gathering we hosted with
Amos and Annie this month.
* An exclusive gathering for just our supporting members. Upgrade your
membership for an invitation!
* At least one workshop with Golden Gate Cohousing, a new retrofit
community in North Oakland that is growing beyond the initial 7-unit
house with the purchase of an additional one nextdoor.
* Additional Eastlake Cohousing meetings and orientations as the group
moves closer to purchasing an existing apartment building near Lake
Merritt.
* Further exploration of Prudence Crandall Neighborhood opportunities
in North Oakland.
* A Silicon Valley / Peninsula trip/events to learn about cohousing
openings in Mountain View (existing intergenerational and new-build
aging-friendly), Los Gatos, and San Mateo
* Santa Rosa field trip to visit Yulupa Cohousing (where there are
several openings for sale and for rent) and Santa Rosa Creek Commons
(a 50-year-old cohousing-like community)
* A Pleasant Hill Cohousing open house/tour (where there is now a home for sale)
* A trip to Long Beach for the BIL "unconference" aboard the Queen
Mary, featuring several workshops on cohousing, coworking, and
aging-in-community
* A regional cohousing gathering in conjunction with a pair of co-op
conferences in Berkeley.
* Kicking off the facilitation intensive series workshops, hosted at
communities in Northern California
* The first of the quarterly cohousing bus tours, this one touring
East Bay Cohousing neighborhoods -- we'd love to organize a group
purchase to make it more affordable.
* A preview of the National Cohousing Conference coming to
Washington,DC in June, including brainstorming about how to pool funds
to send our members there.
* Additional movie nights, reading circles, and study groups on
community formation.
* More events in San Francisco, Marin, the North Bay, the South Bay,
and on weekdays.
* Several talks and a reception at the American Society on Aging
conference in San Francisco.
* More member-led events: what would you like to talk about? What
types of workshops could you help lead? Our website now lets you
propose ideas and suggest relevant events and activities, and we're
ready to help you learn what you need and get the word out to gather
your future neighbors together.

With well over 1300 members, we're still the world's largest cohousing
& communities MeetUp group, thanks to your participation. And if
you're going to more than three events or any one workshop, you can
almost certainly save money by becoming an EBCOHO supporting member,
like Chizu Omori, Elder community creator Chris Zimmerman, and
Alchemist George of Oakland Morehouse did recently, not to mention our
Supporting Member Groups like Eastlake Cohousing, Parker Street
Cooperative, and Golden Gate Cohousing, and help us cover our costs
for office and meeting-space rental, outreach, and community-building,
plus get personal Cohousing Coaching. Your support is essential to
maintain this level of activity and grow our networks.

Raines and Betsy

East Bay Cohousing
http://www.ebcoho.org/