Re: March 12th Training in Conflict Resolution Skills
From: Margaret (margaret.portermindspring.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:21:56 -0800 (PST)
Philip and Sharon:

Thanks for your thoughts about conflict in community.  We agree with your
comment that the problem in community is often conflict avoidance.  We see
that there are some specific reasons why people avoid conflict in community:

Fear - fear of consequences (can be self-fulfilling)
Hopelessness - seeing the chance of things improving as minimal
Uncertainty about what one thinks or ability to defend beliefs
Energy conservation - does it take more energy to engage or avoid?
Systems or relationship preservation - avoidance maintains appearance of
harmony
Powerlessness - little confidence in one's ability to engage constructively
Shame or embarrassment - want public image that aligns with self image &
community norms
Resource depletion - choices with time, fortitude, support or energy
Inadequate skills - some lack the skills needed to engage constructively

Here on the Front Range in Colorado, we have started a cross-community
resource to deal with interpersonal conflict in communities in the area.
We're a small group of individuals from two different communities.  After
all getting the same mediation training designed specifically for cohousing
folks, we've successfully mediated all situations we've engaged in.
Basically, we use Christopher Moore's facilitative model utilizing a
gender-balanced, co- mediation approach.  Our team then debriefs the process
to examine procedural learning points.  Since mediation is just one process
to manage conflict, we've also worked with William Ury's "The Third Side," a
book that describes 10 roles useful in dealing with the different aspects of
community conflict.  We felt so strongly about the need for all communities
to learn to bring all of these roles to bear that we named our group, "Coho
Third Siders."  Over time, we are hoping to build a larger resource network
of cohousing community members that can assist their own and each others'
communities with creative ways to address conflict.

The Coho Third-Siders