Re: Minimum standards for Membership
From: evdavwes (evdavwesaol.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 04:43:44 -0800 (PST)
Philip:

Yes, the "unit" of participation in consensus is the adult resident, not the
owner.  Owners are named in the Bylaws as the actors in certain circumstances
(voting for declaration changes, for example).

Our membership rule is problematic because it implies that you have to meet all
the requirements to be a member.  The declaration, on the other hand, makes
clear that all owners are members.  We could have an owner who has never set
foot in the United States, and that person would still be a member.  We can't
change that reality.  We could, however, say that approval of a sale will
require the buyer to meet all the requirements.  An unapproved buyer will take
an extra 30 days to complete the purchase and be subject to our substituting a
buyer we prefer.

Buyers state to the Sales committee (and I think the Sales committee is
supposed to record the answers) that they have met the requirements.  This
helps to separate those who say "I don't care about your requirements" from
those who are willing.

The association has discussed whether we would want to actually purchase a
unit.  It would be possible, but I would think it unwise.   In my opinion, the
best we are likely to do is to find an alternate buyer to whom to transfer our
"right of first refusal."  Possibly a current owner who has the ability to buy
and find a renter.

David

Message: 1