Social Marketing and Direct Advocacy for the National Cohousing Conference
From: Melanie Mindlin (volunteercohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:51:20 -0800 (PST)
We're three months from the National Cohousing Conference and its getting exciting as all the pieces come together. We're now ready to share our story more broadly through social marketing and direct advocacy. This creates some great opportunities for people to help out Coho/US while advancing your skill set and, potentially, adding another item to your resume.

We would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to consider these volunteer tasks and let me know if you would be willing to help.

Social Marketing Co-chair.
We need someone to take a management role in our social marketing campaign. Our intention is to have a group of people locating news articles and blogs with themes related to cohousing. Our team will write comments relevant to the topic and suggesting the Cohousing Conference. Team members will also activate networks of social media friends. This is an opportunity to advance your skills in this area by working with publicity professionals in Coho/US. You don’t need to be an expert in cohousing issues if you are a good manager and know a lot about social media.

Social Media Researcher
This person will provide guidance and support to our Social Media Team by identifying news outlets, community and professional organizations and other online locations where we can communicate about cohousing. We’ll be looking for themes such as parenting, elders and affordable housing. This is a chance to develop your research skills and demonstrate success in using social media. This task eligible for our work-trade program.

Writer
Our advocacy group would like a volunteer to write an article about cohousing for placement in newsletters for a variety of housing related organizations. The article should be a general overview and include a few paragraphs for special interest groups that we can add or delete to customize it for a target audience. The article is needed by April 1.

Advocacy Assistant
This volunteer will send emails and follow up with telephone calls to select cohousing communities around the nation that are located in the districts of key Congresspeople and Senators in the next two months. Our purpose is to get these communities to contact their federal legislators and make plans to visit their offices when they come to the National Cohousing Conference in Washington, DC mid-June. The initial email correspondence has been drafted and is ready to go. This work will go far to further the advocacy work of the Cohousing Association of the US to bring cohousing to the attention of the US Congress.

I look forward to the chance to discuss these or other volunteer possibilities with you. We also have work-trade partial scholarships for this year's conference which you can read about at http:// conference.cohousing.org/2011/volunteer.
Contact me at volunteer [at] cohousing.org
Melanie Mindlin
Coho/US Volunteer Coordinator