Re: "Cohousing Overlay" as Zoning Regulation
From: Brian Bartholomew (bbstat.ufl.edu)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:43:11 -0800 (PST)
> That all sounds great but you'd but just asking for an immediate
> rejection in most jurisdictions.  I would advise that you ask for the
> changes in the ordinance that you need for your project and no more.

Imagine the purchasing power of social security payments dropping by a
factor of five in the next few years.  Imagine the expected $250K of
medical care spent in the last year of life not appearing.  Given those
circumstances, where will seniors on social security choose to live?
What's the closest inexpensive approach to assisted living?  I think
that's coho-like.  Smaller cottages close together, with universal
design features, with a substantial common area, and assisted living
help provided by themselves and family.

Zoning demands ten times higher impact on the planet than many can
afford.  That will change.  I think the options at this point are
between being at the head of the parade for decent low-income housing
for seniors, or the tail.
                                                        Brian