Re: Bad tenant alert
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 09:35:17 -0700 (PDT)
On 13 Mar 2011, at 12:12 PM, Holly McNutt wrote:

> house-share situation. They are only 2 weeks into this and already major
> problems have ensued.  As  Board member, I got an email from her explaining
> the situation just to keep us in the loop, and that is when I made the
> connection that this is the same family I read about here.  Oh, dear.

Be very aware of your rental laws. Tenants in many states have incredible
rights. It is to protect them against unscrupulous landlords, usually in
situations where they are renting whole units — leasing. But the laws can also
apply to people renting rooms or sharing an apartment.

You may not be able to require them to move out and they can take legal action
against you if you do anything that can be interpreted as violating their
rights. So you need to know what their rights are.

I agree with a previous post that people shouldn't be intimidated by legalities
but you need to understand them and that they apply to you. In our community we
were unaware that any of these laws applied when renting a room and sharing the
kitchen. In DC, they do. All states are different.

And there are people who make causing trouble the focus of their lives. They
get energy from it. I recently read that this is one technique that people with
ADD use to structure their lack of ability to maintain focus. They often
believe that they are doing something constructive, like protecting their own
rights or the rights of others.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
"Reality is something you rise above." Liza Minnelli