Re: Bad Tenant Alert
From: Tim Pierce (twpunchi.org)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:53:12 -0700 (PDT)
On 3/13/11 11:39 PM, Thomas Lofft wrote:

Tim Pierce wrote:

The idea of a "bad tenants" blacklist sounds like a liability pit so huge, I
would not even want to be in the same hemisphere as it.

--twp

I don't see any difference in concept between a bad credit list which we all know exists,
or a bad bank account list which is a blacklist maintained by the banks, from a "Bad
Tenants" list.

It's my understanding that credit bureaus are also subject to near-constant litigation over the accuracy and fairness of their listings. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would be hugely surprised if that weren't the case.

I suppose I could see a way in which a bad tenant blacklist could be responsibly run, but it would not include being run as a forum on a website and it would not include most of the things people are talking about here ("they were unspeakably rude to the other community members", "they turned psychotic the moment the lease was signed"). It would really have to list only verifiable and clearly documented factual issues. Even then I would expect it to be a lawsuit magnet.

--twp