Re: drivable emergency access. was RE: "Cohousing Overlay" asZoning Regulation
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 07:25:04 -0700 (PDT)
On 15 Mar 2011, at 10:10 AM, Richart Keller wrote:

>  The 20' width
> would also be a way of keeping at least part of the way open for walking,
> bicycling, etc when being used during the day for deliveries, workers,
> etc.--we have discussed constructing occasional parallel pulloffs for same
> although these parking spaces will feel like they are encroaching on lawns
> and other open space and won't be as convenient for their temporary uses.
> Using the grass pavers for the pulloffs would help though.

As our children grow in size and number, the parking lot is becoming very
valuable for kids learning to ride bikes, skate, scooter, hopscotch,
basketball, etc.  Our walks are narrow for playing and the rest is grass. When
kids are just learning they need a wider margin of error and no bumps.

The parking lot is fenced in so it is safe and parents of middle aged children
are relatively comfortable allowing them to play there alone. Thus parking,
particularly temporary parking, can be active play space and not dead storage.

I would keep that in mind when using pavers. Permeable asphalt like surfaces
that are smooth might be better for multi-uses. For accessibility the spaces in
and between pavers needs to be relatively small. I can't remember for sure but
it is something like ¼ inch — small.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines