RE Odd Bits of Information [was Bad tenant alert]
From: seaseal (seasealgot.net)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:56:15 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Sharon,

I liked your reference to brains and how they function differently. You may be interested in some research that's been going on for some time--the A.C.E. study on adverse childhood experiences. People who score high on this measure have what are defined as "unsafe coping strategies" for situations where those with low scores use "safe coping strategies."

Our entire county Health Care system is working to reduce trauma and decrease these high ACE scores in people, because research is showing a high ACE score costs in health, behavior, and other ways throughout the life of the person.

My guess (lurking about the list) is the people are struggling with situations they can't manage well; hence, they consequently use "unsafe coping skills" to get through the day.

One book on this problem is titled Seeking Safety. As you can imagine, people with childhood trauma do seek safety. They don't always make good choices---most with high scores smoke for example.

I'll let you do more research on this, but my final point is those of us around people with high ACE scores can learn new ways to interact that don't trigger those "unsafe coping strategies." It's obvious to me these folks seek out cohousing as they see the community aspect as something they hope to be part of, as a safe option.

Cecile
seaseal [at] got.net

The lack of minerals now missing from our food is a lot more than the demineralization of our soils.

Food processing is a major culprit.

When you process wholemeal flour to convert it to white flour, you lose around 80% of its nutrient value.

In reality, white flour is an “anti-nutrient” -- it uses more from your body to digest than what you put in.