Condos & Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:47:54 -0700 (PDT)
One reason that the demand for cohousing may be cooling in some areas is that
condos have adopted many of the practices of cohousing. Last week my aunt died
and her daughter asked if we could use the clubhouse for the memorial service.
When she called the next day to ask if we could pick up the key early to look
and see what would be needed, we were told that we could pick up the key but
that nothing would be needed — they would take care of everything.

We did take tablecloths and flowers for the tables but the women did take care
of everything else, paper plates and napkins, making food, bringing drinks, and
serving as hostesses picking up plates and serving second helpings to many
people. And helping clean up afterwards.

FWIW as a possible future for cohousing: this is a mixed single home and duplex
community of 58 1400 SF two-bedroom units of which 52 are occupied by single
women. "They weren't single when they moved in; it just works out that way,"
the resident manager, a single man, told me.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC