Rules
From: bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:25:42 -0700 (PDT)
        Another related issue which favors written rules is orienting new
folks.  When we first moved into Swans Market Cohousing it had been up and
running for three years.  Many of our neighbors had been meeting for years even
before that during the planning and design phase so there were many agreements
which had been hashed out already and not all of them had been written down.
There was no formal orientation process in place so the way we learned about
many of these expectations was by violating social norms and being told about
it after the fact.  Believe me this is an uncomfortable orientation to a
community.  In response to this I convinced the community that we needed some
orientation documents in place before the next new people showed up.  It took a
year of interviewing people, writing it all down, running it by the HOA and
then revising before we got our final version which is reviewed annually by our
group process committee so it stays up to date.  We also have a one page sheet
for guests who stay in our guest room.  Clarity is a great virtue in a
community.
                                         Happy camper from Swans Cohousing,
                                                   Bonnie Fergusson

Sent from my iPad