Re: CH use rules -
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 19:48:17 -0700 (PDT)
On 11 May 2011, at 2:09 AM, Tamara Maher wrote:

> The problem is, folks are so "rule-shy" that they won't even allow a
> discussion of this topic. Wouldn't it be better to have a conversation so
> everyone really understands the expectations?

One discussion that would help is one on rules. What do they mean to people? I
find that many people are so timid that if there are any rules at all, they go
out of their way to do things even more strictly "just in case." And some,
honestly, don't want any rules so they can do as they please and not bother
with anyone. (Even in cohousing.)

To me a rule says this is what we have agreed to do unless:

(1) we notify the community that in a particular instance we want/need to do
something else. In other words we need an exception.

(2) There is an emergency or unusual pressing situation in which the normally
expected behavior is not appropriate or possible.

One option is to call them "Community Agreements." That puts the "we" back in
the "rule." "We agreed," not "the rule is."

Often "rule" is heard to mean a law that is inflexible and probably even stupid
that is made by a government official or condo commando who doesn't want any to
have any fun.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines