Re: To Go or Not To Go---Cohousing and CoHo US
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:22:52 -0700 (PDT)
> By definition, cohousing is not supposed to have a shared ideology. Cohousers
> claim to want a diverse range of political and social viewpoints

To consider supporting a union's action against an unfair employer to be
ideologically based therefore cohousing can't take a stand on it, is a bit like
saying that global warming is a liberal position that no true conservative
would support.

Cohousers do have an ideology and do take actions as groups on all kinds of
things — favoring sustainable technologies over unsustainable, strong
infrastructure over frills, resident management over Board & professional
management, not buying appliances from certain manufacturers because of their
environmental practices. An action is based on a belief.

From Wikipedia:

> The main purpose behind an ideology is to offer either change in society, or
> adherence to a set of ideals where conformity already exists, through a
> normative thought process. Ideologies are systems of abstract thought applied
> to public matters and thus make this concept central to politics. Implicitly
> every political tendency entails an ideology whether or not it is propounded
> as an explicit system of thought. It is how society sees things.

I would suggest that since the vast majority of cohousers represent the levels
of society that are not the natural constituents of unions, they don't consider
the issue to be very important. It doesn't affect them.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC