The vision thing -- what good is it?
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:11:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone,

We have a mature coho community of about 15 years duration in Berkeley, Calif.

There have been calls as of late to define (or rather re-define) our vision and
values as a community.

Have any of you done this in a mature, basically well-functioning community?
What should we consider in the discussion? What are the things (categories) we
need to define?

I especially struggle with "what will doing this arduous group exercise
actually
give us"? I would like for the outcome, the articulation of this vision, to
help
us in everyday decision-making as we move forward with necessary future
projects.

And we have some important things upcoming: succession planning (when units
turn
over), how much self-management we want to continue to do, investing in
environmental sustainability (solar, water catchment), how to add people as
associate members, etc. Some guiding principles will help us with these.

If nothing else, if you folks have some solid examples of vision statements and
how these assisted your community in a set of decisions, that would be swell.
Again, this is about a mature community, not one in the forming stages. (I
think
the vision statement in a new community is more about attraction of folks.)

Yours in community at the beginning of summer,
Mariana