Teeth in Rules [Was dogs in community]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:53:31 -0700 (PDT)
On 25 Jun 2011, at 10:53 AM, Karen Carlson wrote:

> For example, we don't
> tract whether the obligatory 4 hours of community work per adult is
> accomplished nor do we track participation in work weekends.

A good question was raised in the Dynamic Governance workshop at Coho
University at the Coho Conference. Is a proposal clearly defined if it doesn't
include "teeth". Is it a proposal at all? Or is it meaningless?

If your community agreement is that each member is expected to do 4 hours of
community work, how do you know when that is not being done? If you don't know
when it isn't being done, how do you know when it is? And if you don't know
either of those things, why believe that you have an agreement?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC