Re: Group Think
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:42:52 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, Sharon Villines wrote:

In working on another project I came across the original source of "group
think".

"The more amiability and esprit de corps among the members of the of a policy-making in-group, the greater is the danger that independent critical thinking will be replaced by group-think, which is likely to result in irrational and dehumanizing actions directed against and out-group." Irving Janis, 1972.

Been there. It was quite annoying. In the end they decided to kick me out for having a dissenting opinion. That was my last attempt at becoming part of a cohousing group. I still hang out here because I am still very interested in the social and cultural impact of cohousing. I'm also working on changing careers to one where I can have a greater impact on societal changes.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.