Re: Group Think
From: Robin Alexander (alexande.robiuwlax.edu)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 12:26:30 -0700 (PDT)
We had a situation similar to what Norman describes but found a good way
out of it. We had a pet policy brought to the group after quite a bit of
work and compromise (we have a surprising degree of polarization around
pets - surprising to me anyway). There was some pressure to accept the
proposal but those who were opposed stood fast and over the next few
months a small group consisting of the "extreme" ends of the issue as well
as some moderates met frequently and managed to hash out a policy everyone
could live with if not totally happily. Thus we avoided a vote or
"forcing" consensus on the group. Many of us never thought that we could
pull it off and we were very happy that we did. So the key was
incorporating the objectors and their willingness to be incorporated into
the working group and the willingness on all sides to make (significant to
them) compromises.

Robin A.
(no flames please)