Re: Group Think
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 16:14:49 -0700 (PDT)
"Because of group think we have sometimes consensed on proposals on which later
improvement was needed"

I would not say that a group later needing to make improvements to a proposal
is necessarily an indication of group think.  Perfection is subjective.  Nearly
any proposal can be improved by taking a second look after you have had a
chance to try it out in action.  I know that I will sometimes agree to an
imperfect but acceptable proposal, because it is often more importance to get
started than to achieve perfection.  I have been invovled with consensus in one
form or another for 16 years, and I find I am more willing to move ahead with
proposals and see how they work.  I often have reservations about a particular
policy, but if they fall into the category of " that's not the best way, or the
way I would choose" rather than the " Really bad things will happen if we do
this" category, I try to let go of my attachment to a particular way of doing
things and see how it goes. If we have moved ahead  with horrible results, we
would become more cautious;
 often the "burning issue" during the discussion fades away or fails to
materialize once a decision is made.
Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing
Aptos