Re: Energy demand is the problem
From: Karen Carlson (kcarlson2wisc.edu)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:10:43 -0700 (PDT)
Super huge profits and super huge subsidies obviously haven't motivated Big Oil to invest in new technologies --unless it's still another carbon-based form (e.g. fracking). If non-carbon based, sustainable technologies were on the same playing field as Big Oil, they could jointly produce far more energy then we've been lead to believe. How is it that some cities and countries of Europe are already well down the path of becoming independent of carbon-based fuels?

Given the unending handouts to Big Oil, how can other forms of energy compete? To level the playing field, we should consider taxing carbon-based fuel as it comes out of the ground or crosses the boarder and return all the tax money to citizens. This plan (carbon fee & dividend) would off set the additional cost of fuels to poorer citizens and it would build political will to develop new technologies. It would also satisfy the politicians who have signed a "no new taxes" pledge.

Karen Carlson
Arboretum Cohousing Community
Madison WI