Re: Groupthink
From: Wayne Tyson (landrestcox.net)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:56:27 -0700 (PDT)
CoHo:

Aside from the "search for truth" argument, Gai points out once of the most
entrenched examples of groupthink of which I can think, "Our educational system
pushes for compliance (students mostly have to do what they are told, not work
on what they're genuinely interested in) - which ends up with the result that
so many people don't have the confidence to be vocal about what they think,
especially when it involves disagreement."

This is what distinguishes culture from society. (the root of culture comes
from the Latin "cultus" or "cultum," referring to cult, cultivating, loyalty,
etc., while the root of society comes from the Latin "socius" or "socium,"
referring to sharing, joining in, united, etc.

Because this distinction is crucial, and underlies much of the confusion in our
use of language, I would only suggest that Gai might want to consider replacing
"our society" with "our culture" in her statement: "And because the most
prevalent MO in our society is competitive rather than cooperative, learning to
cooperate is a large task." I hasten to add, however, that common usage has
long erased the distinction, even in academic parlance.

Cohousing, as a phenomenon, is, I suggest, part of a continuing struggle of our
cooperative, social "hard wiring" to overcome the pathological aspects of
culture.

But I do not suggest that the discussion shift/digress from groupthink.

WT