Fwd: Pop-Up Playgrounds
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 07:57:06 -0700 (PDT)
An interesting article in today's New York Times on ways to make our streets
useful for more  than traffic. Since cohousers know how to organize, this would
seem to be a perfect task for improving neighborhoods.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/opinion/sunday/presto-instant-playground.html?src=recg

> During a two-month period last year, seven civic coalitions in New York
> neighborhoods like East Harlem and the South Bronx got permits from the city
> to close certain local streets to traffic for designated periods of time —
> say, between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on a summer weekday. Working with the police
> and other city agencies, they re-designated the areas as temporary “play
> streets,” encouraging neighborhood children to use them for exercise and
> offering a range of free games, athletic activities and coaching.
>
> Call them pop-up playgrounds.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
"Logic will get you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert
Einstein