charging for common house events
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:44:23 -0700 (PDT)
At RoseWind, we want to encourage use of the common house, and at the same time defray the actual costs of building use: heat, wear and tear, use of paper towels, TP, linens, housekeeping, and such. (We've been using our common house for 11 years now.)

When there are events other than those of our own community, we charge a modest fee. Some members think we should charge more, some think we shouldn't charge at all. I want to know what your group does.

For comparison, here's an outline of our practice:
No charge: RoseWind gatherings of any sort - meals, meetings, parties. Member use of kitchen to prepare food for personal use (canning, food for a friend's wedding). Groups of up to 7 for casual social gatherings, to talk, watch a movie, practice music.
Personal socials @ $10. Birthday party, family reunion, cast party.
Sponsored events @ $1 per person, $10 minimum: the majority of non-RW events: must have member sponsor present and associated with the event: organizations having meetings, potlucks, English Country Dance, local choir rehearsal once a week, political events, fundraisers, concerts, retreats, workshops, slide shows.

These events bring in about $1200-$1600 a year total (with half of that from the weekly choir practice), which is all applied to offset the operational budget for the common house, the balance of which is paid for by our annual assessments. If we didn't collect for events, our assessments would need to rise by $50-100 per household per year, to fund all the operating costs.

Is our practice similar to yours, or do you charge more, or less, for such uses of your common house?

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
www.rosewind.org

where I stayed indoors this afternoon because by local standards it was "too hot"-- maybe 77 !
67 is more usual...