Earthquakes, Hurricanes and Cohousing
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:06:09 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all --

First ... a shout out to those cohousers -- and everyone -- living on the East
coast:  how are you doing viz a vis Irene?   I hear VT is heavily impacted with
flooding.  How about the rest of you?  Please let us know how you are fairing.

Here at Takoma Village in northwest Washington, DC we managed to survive The
Great Quake followed by Irene just a few days later.  I was in the kitchen
cutting up an apple when the earth's crusts moved.  Having never experienced an
earthquake I didn't have the slightest idea what was happening.  I did rule out
workmen stomping on the roof when I saw the kitchen window move back and forth.
 Once I found out it was really an earthquake I started sending emails to folks
saying " ... we had an earthquake!" meaning that "we" right here at Takoma
Village had its own earthquake.  Well ... when you consider we have been struck
by lightening frying major electrical and digital communication systems from
which we still have not 100% recovered, flooded routinely, and trapped by 6 ft
of snow ... having our own earthquake didn't seem so far fetched.  Besides ...
I don't know anything about earthquakes.  Well, "...no" said my business
partner, Jack.  "It was a little bigger than that ..."

I do know something about hurricanes having grown up in Tampa, FL.  I've lived
through enough of them to know they are great pains in the butt along w/ being
very destructive and life threatening even after passing through.   The threat
is not over once the rain stops.  Ground soaked by rain can still cause
problems days later as trees w/ weakened root systems crash on to power lines,
parked cars, etc.  Plus you may also be w/out potable water or electricity for
days.  When Isabel hit here in 2003 we were w/out power for FIVE days.

So ... how are you guys doing out there?

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC