Re: Report on Survey of Cohousing Communities 2011. Just released. A must read!
From: bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:04:26 -0700 (PDT)
     People are often frustrated by consensus decision making because it takes
so much longer than the voting processes we are used to but the ultimate
decision tends to be better and the process of listening to everyone's thoughts
and feelings about things tends to increase peoples sense of knowing each other
really well which works out better for the community in the long run. I'm not
sure "less personal investment from each member in the decision making process"
is a desirable goal in a community of people living together.  Leaving smaller
less controversial decisions up to the appropriate committees (which usually
include the folk most passionately interested in those issues) is one way we
cope. The longer we live together, the better we know each other, the easier it
is to trust the judgement of our committees in their areas of expertise. Big
issues are always brought to the wider Community for final approval though.
     I do think size matters in this context however.  I'm guessing as the
community size increases, the dissatisfaction with the time required to reach
consensus would also increase. I notice that the average Cohousing Community is
35 households.  I'm guessing we might have more trouble sticking with consensus
decision making if the average size were 65 or even worse 100 households.
                                Bonnie Fergusson
                                Swans Market Cohousing (20 households)
                                Oakland, CA
Sent from my iPad