Examples of Consensus Success (Was:[C-L] … Survey of Cohousing ...
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 04:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
CONSENSUS IS BETTER?  OH YEAH?  GOT EXAMPLES?

I hear this a lot — that consensus, time-consuming though it may be — will
deliver a higher quality result.  Do I believe it?

Depends, of course, on how you define "higher quality".  If you mean, a greater
number of people seemingly happy with the outcome, I certainly agree.  But if
you mean, a solution that's substantively "better" based on objective external
criteria, then this might prove to be more elusive.  I think of all the zoning
controversies I've struggled with in Cambridge — where zoning changes cannot
happen without a reinforced majority of six out of nine councilors, and in the
end, are often (but not always) passed unanimously (Wowee! Consensus!) — and
what often comes out of this excruciatingly painful birthing process is
something that is linguistically opaque, substantively self-contradictory, and
a pale shadow of its originating intent.

But wait!  I still believe it!  I just need more concrete, real world examples
of how consensus produces better results, really.  I will give one of my own,
direct out of my Cornerstone Cohousing experience:

      When I first moved in to Cornerstone, I joined a volunteer committee
trying to put together a repair / replacement reserve funding plan.  The big
and seemingly unbreachable divide was between those who wanted collect and save
money annually to pay for future repairs and maintenance, versus those who
wanted solve the problem in the moment, by special assessments for manifest
needs and failures.  In other words: Collect and set aside money now for the
day when the boiler blows and the roof leaks?  Or, pay for urgent repairs at
the time they occur, via special assessments?
      And so:  We were looking at complex forecasting models that tried to save
up money for 8 years into the future, when hot water tanks might fail, or 35
years in the future, when all the siding or windows would need replacement.
The folks who wanted to save for the future and the folks who wanted to pay in
moment were deeply divided.  We wrestled with this for many months, getting
nowhere.
      And then:  One of our volunteers came up with the idea of Hey!, Let's not
try to look 35 years into the future.  Let's instead make a plan with a
"rolling window" of five years into the future, and base our reserve
assessments on that — and, of course, update our plan every five years.   I was
initially skeptical, but when I set up the model and ran the numbers, it made a
lot of sense.  In more ways than just financial.  So this is what we proposed,
and this is what the community adopted.  By consensus.  First try!  I was
surprised and delighted by a good solution that I would not have arrived at on
my own.

HERE'S WHAT I NEED FROM YOU:  For all of you out there ... Can you post a
specific example of how your consensus process eventually provided a better,
and even surprisingly better, solution?  If we want to promote consensus, we
have to make it real.  Thanks.

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5