Re: Report on Survey of Cohousing Communities 2011
From: Eris Weaver (eriserisweaver.info)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:19:45 -0700 (PDT)
I found it interesting to note that one of the items on respondents' "wish
list" was free facilitation/process training.

Coho/US DOES offer low-cost training -- during and before the annual
conferences! Those who lead conference break-out sessions are doing it as
volunteers; trainers during pre-conference workshops are paid a mere
pittance. In both cases, trainers are paying their own travel costs as well
as paying to attend the conference.

The Association operates on a shoestring, with a huge amount of volunteer
labor.  Asking the Association & our community of facilitators/trainers to
offer additional trainings for free is asking those who already provide a
LOT of pro bono community service to do even more!

I don't think anyone would ask the Association to provide free legal or
architectural services...but we process people are continually asked to
provide our services for free or practically so.  It is hard sometimes not
to feel that we are not truly valued.

<rant off>
Author, "Let's Talk About Money: A Conversation Guide for Intentional
Communities"
eris [at] erisweaver.info
707-338-8589
http://www.erisweaver.info