Re: Consensus, Majority vote, blocks
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:10:59 -0700 (PDT)
We do rounds a lot too, partly because we don't seem to have many other tools
in our toolkit.  I have two basic problems with rounds:
It's almost impossible to have a linear conversation about anything, because
the subject changes from moment to moment, person to person.  Yes, I know, we
all get our feelings out, we bond with each other, ideas may gel in a creative
way that doesn't happen if you go by the topic numbers, 1, 2, 3 ... but I still
miss linear conversations sometimes.
We scramble the starting position of the rounds, but it doesn't help:  I can
watch the circled people deflate and inflate, and re-conceptualize their own
speaking, according to who said what before them.  In the end, I sometimes get
to hear what people think, but other times get to hear only what they think is
safe to say.

Pro-active facilitation and the Delphi Method could get us over some of these
humps.  I think we need more tools.

RPD