Re: Consensus, Majority Vote, "Blocks" [was Report on Survey of Cohousing Communities 2011. Just released. A must read!
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 11:23:40 -0700 (PDT)
On 2 Oct 2011, at 11:27 AM, R Philip Dowds wrote:

> After I explain, in articulate detail, why Proposal X is contrary to our
> vision and mission documents, and will have ill consequences for our
> community — but find I am alone in these views, and my community begs to
> differ — then what?  Should I go ahead and block in the belief that I know
> what's better for the community than the community itself knows?  Or, should
> I abandon my principles and firmly held convictions, and just get along?

I agree. Too fuzzy. And the purpose of community is to support its members. The
community only exists because of its members — it isn't an object or even a
living being.

One solution is to define Vision, Mission, Aim more clearly.

And to focus proposals on Aims.

Visions are dreams. The world as we would like it to be. Visions rarely change.

Missions are the ways we contribute to making our vision a reality. Missions
are reevaluated and may change after several years. Usually not radically but
in focus or redefinition.

Aims are tangible products of our mission accomplished. Aims can change yearly.
Products change. Activities change.

Example:

Vision: Everyone living where they feel equally welcome, supported, and useful.

Mission: To create, develop, and sustain a cohousing community.

Aim: To build Happy Dale Village.

The Aim will change often can could be more specific depending on the stage of
development. Each team should also have an aim.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC