Re: The Red Mercedes [was Consensus, Majority Vote, "Blocks"]
From: Dane Laverty (danelavertygmail.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 22:36:40 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon, I love your story of the red Mercedes. It's been on my mind for the
past couple days. (I'm going to wax reflective, so I hope you'll indulge
me.)

Cohousing is my red Mercedes. Since I discovered cohousing a few years ago
and I read Chris Hanson's *The Cohousing Handbook*, it's become a sort of
imaginary panacea for me. Here's how cohousing works in my mind:

   - I wake up just before the sunrise and step outside into the brisk
   morning. My best friend Jeremy, who lives next door, is out waiting for me.
   We walk quietly through the dew-covered grass of the commons area and past
   the garden, and take the walking trail up to the top of the hill near our
   community. We talk about life, families, and plans, and enjoy watching the
   sunrise together.
   - I wake up just before the sunrise and step outside into the brisk
   morning. I sit down with my hot chocolate on a patio chair. I spend the time
   alone in the quiet stillness of the morning.
   - I wake up just before the sunrise and step outside to meet the morning
   dance group. We breathe, move, and run through choreography in the lawn
   together.

   - I spend my days in artistic and creative pursuits: writing, game
   design, philosophy, choreography, teaching, and reading.
   - I spend my days outside with the kids. They play and I keep an eye on
   them, chatting with the other parents.
   - I spend my days under trees, by riversides, over grass, and across
   landscapes. I enjoy the sun, the shade, the wind, and the earth.

   - When I come home in the evening, it's my night to cook. I make dozens
   of burritos and we gather out to share dinner together while our kids
   provide the chaotic entertainment of being kids.
   - When I come home in the evening, I get my djembe and join in improvised
   song and music with my neighbors.
   - When I come home in the evening, after dinner I play Settlers of Catan
   in the CH with my friends, enjoying the magical peace of the night.
   - When I come home in the evening, I lay down on the grass and watch the
   stars.

But that's not how cohousing works. In reality, I don't imagine that living
in cohousing would contribute to almost any of the items on my list. What is
currently preventing me from enjoying my sunrises, my shade dappled forests,
and my quiet evenings of solemn peacefulness? It's the fact that I've got a
job and a mortgage, that I have family responsibilities and children to
raise. It's the fact that my email is more tempting than my front yard. It's
the fact that it's easy to imagine doing things spontaneously with friends,
but in real life those kinds of activities take planning and leadership and
energy. I've got meals to prepare, a house to clean, a wife to love, and a
career to attend to. Cohousing doesn't make any of those things go away.

All that said, I'd still jump at the chance to live in a cohousing
community. Even if it's not everything, it can be something, and it sounds
like something wonderful.