Re: How much liability insurance do other cohousing communities carry? (S. Kashdan)
From: Christine Johnson (manzjohnsonnetzero.net)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 16:27:13 -0700 (PDT)

Slyvie Kashdan wrote:

As part of this, we are looking at our liability insurance coverage to see if we have enough. Alternatively, we may decide
that some of our liability insurance is unnecessary, and drop it...

Since risk varies wildly from local to local and within a local, varies wildly from property to property, a good practice is to pay for an independent analysis. If you underinsure, the broker or agent who wrote the policy will not be accountable for your error unless s/he advised you in written form (which of course, no one who knows their business will.)

It's worth every penny to have an independent party (someone who would not profit from your purchase of coverage) to complete a risk analysis for you. We did so with very good results. We contracted with a retired Farmer's Insurance broker. He quoted us a flat fee to do a simple risk analysis and reviewed three proposals for coverage. He met with the owners to discuss his recommendation and answer questions. This was a very good meeting as those who attended came a way with a pretty good sense of why it is that we insure and what it is that we are insuring. Another benefit of contracting for this analysis and recommendation was that the final decision was not second guessed. No one argued that we should insure with the provider who offered the lowest rate.

Not having adequate coverage is up there with driving on bald tires. Nothing bad happens for quite awhile but when it does, it can be just horribles upon horrible.

Christine Johnson
Stone Curves Cohousing
Tucson, AZ

57-Year-Old Mom Looks 25