Re: Consensus changing the world
From: Madeline Nelson (madeline.nelsonverizon.net)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 11:07:55 -0700 (PDT)
I am involved in OWS in NYC. As the general assemblies get ever bigger and the
meetings very long, the NYC group is steering towards a spokes council model.
This is being used within several working groups that have gotten large enough
to break into sub-groups (affinity groups/task oriented) and is also used for a
daily check-in amongst working groups. I believe at least one of the meetings
shown in the film is actually the working group spokes council.

While many people in OWS are new to direct democracy and even to activism,
there are quite a few others who have long experience with facilitation and
consensus based process. There are daily trainings held for those who want to
learn to facilitate or to brush up their skills. I'm in 2 working groups and
both are pretty successful at rotating facilitation, which means lots of people
are getting frequent practice.

I've only seen 1 decision go to a "vote", and that was when a blocker
misunderstood the rules or didn't want to play by them, and used the block to
voice a personal grudge. (When the blocker left the group, we all felt badly--
but also somewhat relieved that a person who had routinely been disruptive
chose to absent herself. If she comes back we will all need to work further to
avoid another such breakdown of the process.)

We don't at this point foresee networks over a big geographical area that need
to reach consensus, or any centralization of the movement. Each "Occupy" group
is autonomous and there are informal means of simply informing each other of
what we're doing.

Sharon, you can email me off-list with resources that I'll pass along to the
NYC facilitation working group.

Madeline