Re: Objection Versus Extortion
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 02:48:34 -0700 (PDT)
Begging to clarify:

In this instance, E is (somewhat) related: like C and D, it's all about
allocating and approving budget expenditures.  Following a well-attended
General Meeting where E was discussed in detail, and with regarded with
skepticism — a meeting at which, I might add, Person X did not show up — Group
Two explicitly (re)considered E at an announced open meeting — where person X
was unseen — and decided not to include it in its finalized proposal.  But C
and D are valid, important and acceptable without any E; you don't need E to
make C and D work.

To make things more clear:  Maybe I want the community to replace some dining
room furniture, and Group Two did not agree to present this to General Meeting
as part of its proposal recommendations.  Should I block paying the utility
bill and the entire 2012 assessment program until people agree to get me new
chairs?  Should Group Two have worked harder to talk me out of chairs, or to
accept stools as less expensive substitute, before the meeting?  But here ...

You raise an interesting related question:  Who owns the block?  Our community
mood is that if a proposal falls short of consensus, it is the proposers who
failed the process, not the blocker.  Even when blocker makes no time to show
up at the pre-meetings, nor to advocate his/her case to, and explore
alternatives with, the proposers.  The proposers always have the prime duty to
reach out harder, and find and negotiate with all potential blockers until the
proposal can sail through the meeting without a hitch.  If some members are
sleepwalking through history, but show up out of nowhere to exercise their
rights, well, that's the price of a true consensus process.

I'm not fully on board with this model of consensus.  In my world view,
proposers have duties, but the right to block the hard work of others is
earned, not automatic.  The block I described was not really an objection, it
was hostage-taking.  So for now, I'll stick with my characterization of
extortion.

Anybody else out there ever seen anything like this?  How did you deal with it?
 How would you deal with it?

RPD