Re: The Red Mercedes [was Consensus, Majority Vote, "Blocks"]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:01:52 -0700 (PDT)
On 20 Oct 2011, at 1:57 PM, Dane Laverty wrote:

> Okay, I've taken my first swing at fleshing out what my "red Mercedes" ideal
> community looks like in a blog post:
> http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/2011/10/the-world-i-choose/

One of the basic assumptions in cohousing and probably in all intentional
community activities that is assumed is the absence of conflict. If I want to
cook community meals and see it as a great advantage, I assume everyone else
who wants to cook community meals and sees it as a great advantage, will also
be the kind of person who will:

be on time
do what they say they will do
purchase healthy food when possible (no fructose, etc.),
like the foods I like (bland, vegan, etc.)
want to serve them the way I like (family style, buffet etc.),

and will be willing to sit down and talk long enough to resolve differences.

It's the bumping up against the inherent body/time rhythms and voice qualities
and music preferences that cause the friction. I think we all have similar Red
Mercedes visions, but how do we get there comfortably?

I don't mean to be negative — all these things do work out. But I find the most
difficult thing is allowing for differences, often very wide, in abilities and
sensibilities. How to make people feel good when they have done what I consider
to be a bad job. One that has to be surreptitiously done over again, or live
with it.

Conflict is inevitable. Conflict resolution the last thing communities think
about in their Red Mercedes visions or resolutions.

Sometimes I think every orientation of prospective members and every meeting of
members should have a conflict resolution  exercise — 5 to 15 minutes so the
process becomes automatic and the group develops conflict resolution skills and
expectations from the first minute.

When I talk to people who don't life in cohousing, personality conflicts, along
with a cluttered CH, is the first thing they want to avoid.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"It is harder to be kind than clever. KIndness is a choice and hard. Cleverness
is a gift and seductive." Jeff Bezos' Grandfather