Re: Allowing "block" creates vetoes
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 04:36:28 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, but ...

If all others think a proposal is fine for the community — and just one member
thinks it is bad for the community — is it not just a tad arrogant to believe
one's personal view is clearly superior to the combined wisdom of everyone else?

My own standards for blocking are quite different.  I might block if I believe
the proposal ...
... is actually illegal, like, discriminatory against someone's civil rights as
defined by the law; or
... discriminatory against me personally, like denial of communal parking
access to Subaru Outbacks; or
... makes it very hard or impossible for me to do the communal jobs I've been
assigned, or to honor the communal commitments we all share.  Like, all
Managing Board meetings must be at noon on a weekday, even if I (as Clerk) am
full time employed out of town (which I am).

Based on these standards, I have never blocked anything, and do not expect to.
But I can and do argue strenuously against things I find to be illogical,
inconsistent, or silly.

RPD