Re: The Red Mercedes [was Consensus, Majority Vote, "Blocks"]
From: Dane Laverty (danelavertygmail.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:59:39 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon, I've been thinking over your observation here, and trying to figure
out what motivates me toward community.

My selfish reason is that I want to live a lifestyle that requires less
time spent at the office so that I can have more time for recreation,
sociality, and personal pursuits.

My less selfish reason is that I want to provide a "reset button" for
people. I want a community for people who are stuck without skills,
education, or work experience, a place that provides people with the space,
contacts, and resources they need to figure out what they want out of life
and then help them "shove off" in the direction of their dreams.

So I guess what I'm envisioning isn't so much a long-term cohousing
community as it is a sort of staging area, a boarding school for life. I
would be a place where people would come for a few years, get set up, and
then head out again.

I'm not sure that this addresses any of your points about the assumed
absence of conflict. My hope is that, since this community would function
more like a program than a neighborhood, and due to the short-term nature
of the stay for most of the residents, there would be less friction.

I think you've touched on the key point with your suggested regular 5 - 15
minute conflict resolution meeting. In the computer programming world, the
popular methodology *du jour* is called "Agile programming". It consists of
several team management practices, one of which being the "daily stand-up
meeting". In the daily stand-up, each team member has a chance to report on
progress and raise any concerns or blockers. Most of the meetings are
boring and pass without incident, but frequent and regular team meetings
help nip problems in the bud before they grow into unmanageable monsters.