Re: The Red Mercedes [was Consensus, Majority Vote, "Blocks"]
From: Wayne Tyson (landrestcox.net)
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 12:41:52 -0800 (PST)
CoHo:

The Red Mercedes is an excellent metaphor for the "demands" issues as opposed to the "needs" aspect, which I have termed "frugal luxury."

The specific solutions Sharon lists are acceptably sensible for the state of apparent "transition to transformation" as I have called it, which, if my take on it is correct, but at some stage of the coming transformation, such desires are likely to become increasingly rare, even irrelevant. The qualities of narcissism and general egocentrism which continue to plague us and interfere with the transition (not to even mention transformation) into a predominantly social, more fully integrated, actualized community.

In the meantime we will have to find ways to endure the mean times, meet conflict head on, and truly reconcile our differences along the lines outlined by Villines. That's not all bad, as it allows us to be mature, and to reap all the considerable (if intangible) rewards therefrom. We may be witnessing a turning point that will stick this time, as conventional systems of dependency and exploitation are increasingly seen for what they are--and people are taking action, however symbolic it may be at the moment. But once the truth is out of the bag, it will be difficult for all the King's horses and all the King's goons to put it back.

Cohousing, with all its limitations, is one of the prongs that can help show that alternatives exist. They may not quite yet be suitable for all, but the great courage and dedication shown by today's pioneers will be one of the forces of transition. Transformation will perhaps require a state of being beyond our present capabilities, but we will have to be both patient and active as we come around to permitting at least the admission of counterintuitive alternatives.

WT