Re: The Red Mercedes [was Consensus, Majority Vote, "Blocks"]
From: Dane Laverty (danelavertygmail.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:59:49 -0800 (PST)
Expense is my first major question with this. From what I've read, the
price of cohousing is generally on par with conventional housing. I like to
imagine that it could be reduced significantly through reducing the role of
the individual residences and increasing the role of the commons facilities.

I agree with you about government funding. I'd like to be able to keep the
community self-funding. Since the people I'd be looking to serve would
generally be people who aren't affluent, that would mean building as
affordable a community as possible. In terms of structure, I imagine
something closer to a Boy Scout camp than a condominium ( here's my most
recent attempt to articulate it:
http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/2011/10/building-the-dream-city/ ).

"Many retreats designed allow people to rethink are really designed for
short expensive vacations." Sharon, that is *exactly* what I'm trying to
address. I believe that a retreat should provide peace, not increased
financial stress. What I want is to build a retreat that really allows a
person (or family) to, well, retreat.

Speaking of which, the family aspect is important to me. It's easier to
change directions when you're young and single. I specifically want to
provide options to middle-aged parents of young and teenage children.

I also agree with you about providing treatment. My goal isn't to address
pathological situations, but rather to help people acquire the vision,
skills, contacts, and motivation they need to turn their life situation
into something they're satisfied with.

I see the community residents each acting in one of two roles -- educator
or student. My target is that the community would provide food and lodging
in the ballpark of $1,000/month per family (same cost for both the
educators and the students). The educators would have the community
responsibility of organizing and teaching classes, as well as assisting the
students in developing their goals and plans. The students'
responsibilities would be to attend classes and to take care of the
community maintenance and services.

Dane