Re: Agile Practices [was The Red Mercedes]
From: Dane Laverty (danelavertygmail.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:17:48 -0800 (PST)
Let me respond first to your question about Agile (I'll come back to the
rest in a separate email). Here's the "Agile Software Developement
Manifesto". Like any declaration, it's more about ideals than practices,
but I think it's a useful starting point:

*Manifesto for Agile Software Development*

We are uncovering better ways of developing
software by doing it and helping others do it.
Through this work we have come to value:

*Individuals and interactions* over processes and tools
*Working software* over comprehensive documentation
*Customer collaboration* over contract negotiation
*Responding to change* over following a plan

That is, while there is value in the items on
the right, we value the items on the left more.

Although I work as a software developer, I've found that the principles
behind Agile are useful beyond just programming and can often be applied
successfully in other disciplines. At its core, Agile is designed to answer
the questions, "What are the most pressing needs?" and, "What can we work
on today that will provide value tomorrow?"

Traditional software development says, "We'll spend 18 months building this
super-awesome program that provides the dozens of features you requested,
in conformance with the contract specifications."

Agile software development says, "Rather than blocking out 18 months to
give you what you think you want, let's spend 1 month building a very
simple prototype that provides just a single one of your many requested
features. You can test drive that and let us know if we're going in the
direction you want. Then we'll spend another month to add another feature.
This way we don't end up 18 months later giving you something that wasn't
what you really envisioned at all."

The idea is that it's better to provide frequent releases, each
demonstrating minor additions in value in order to achieve invested
customer collaboration and keep the project in line with customer
expectations.

As I'm looking around at websites, I'm surprised to find that there's not
really a single good website I can point you to that explains how Agile
turns the above principles into practices. I believe that it's largely
because Agile is relatively new (while many of the practices are decades
old, the term Agile is circa 2001) and therefore many different approaches
are currently being tried and promoted. The two practices that I've seen
used most often and most successfully are Scrum and Extreme Programming
(again, don't let the word "programming" scare you off -- the principles
apply interdisciplinarily):

Scrum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_(development)

Extreme Programming: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Programming

Dane