Re: Rental policies?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 02:29:37 -0800 (PST)
Individual property rights, and homeownership rights, are usually heavily
regulated by State law, with most States believing that protection of such
rights is deeply grounded in the federal Constitution.  In many cases, private
contracts — like the master deed and bylaws of condo associations — can NOT be
contrived to abrogate these rights, and if seemingly onerous provisions are
challenged in court, they can be found null and void, despite the fact that
some unwitting buyer put his/her signature to them.

Euro law tends to balance out communal interests and individual rights more in
favor of community.  But let's not forget that our nation was founded by
self-selected Euro-emigrants who were deeply opposed to the property
distributions and ownership conventions of feudal and post-fuedal Europe.  This
is one of the reasons why the formation of true community is such an uphill
battle (legal and cultural) for Americans.

RPD